Wednesday 21 March 2012

My Egg for 'The Big Egg Hunt' London






The big egg hunt is currently in full swing around London, I was lucky enough to be asked to contribute my own egg to the festivities.

I had 2 words in my head when I started thinking about this project, psychedelic - creature. I was immediately drawn to the idea of turning the egg into a jolly (if slightly bonkers) animal of some kind, 'the shape is a bit like a frog' I thought and set about drawing him, 'but what to do with the back of my frog egg?' I wondered, 'if he's so ecstatic on the front wouldn't it be fun to paint him a woefully sad side on the other, creating a sort of ying yang character', this allowed me to play with different colour palettes for the oposing sides and gave me a great excuse to paint another funny face. but what to call him? in the end, out of shear desperation and lack of anything better I went with the ludicrous title of 'the happy sad frog egg', although it really should have been 'the eggony and the eggstasy'.

I had tremendous fun painting my frog egg for a few days, I've grown quite attached to him. You can visit him at his new home in Carnaby Street, say hi from me.

7 comments: